WICKLOW J1s EDGE GOREY   03/03/2019



After the heroics of last week in the Towns Cup, Gorey returned to league duty with their final home league game against Wicklow.

The horrendous weather predicted a game of two halves and so it proved with both teams dominating playing into the gale force wind.

Neither team were able to capitalize on it, other than Wicklow’s crucial winning score early in the second half.

Gorey started with the strong gale force wind at their backs as they tried to pin the visitors deep into their half. But Wicklow dealt well with the threat as Gorey struggled to get any rhythm to their play and Wicklow defending strongly.

As the game progressed the visitors started putting some good phases together and they were rewarded in the twentieth minute when Mark Nicholson ran in for the opening try.

Gorey were to fall further behind as Wicklow grew in confidence and a further try by George Naoupu had the home team at sixes and sevens as Wicklow stretched their lead.

The last ten minutes of the half saw Gorey put some good phases together to put pressure on the visitors. Phase after phase saw Gorey batter the Wicklow line but strong defensive work kept them at bay.

The second-half saw Gorey got off to the worst possible start as they failed to clear their line with a series of errors seeing George Naoupu reaching out to touch down to extend Wicklow’s lead to 17 - 0 with Niall Earls adding the conversion.

It was now looking like a hard hill for Gorey to climb with such a deficit and into the gale force wind.

But as Wicklow had done in the first half Gorey started to get a foothold in the game and protected the ball better as they slowly grew in confidence.

It was their captain Steven Gardiner who led the charge with Daragh Bellanova, Ciarán Allen and Co. also making some hard yards.

Some good phases saw them deep in the Wicklow half and when Steven Gardiner touched down it was just reward for a lot of hard work, James Nolan converted.

Gorey were not long before they were back again and a similar play took them back to the Wicklow line Again patience was the key and again Gardiner touched down with Nolan just wide with the conversion.

At 17 - 12 it was anyone’s game as Gorey piled on the pressure but Wicklow settled and held on for the win.

Gorey had some good performances with Joe Naughton, Andrew Walsh and James Nolan the pick of the backs. Daragh O’Leary, Killian Breen and man of the match Steven Gardiner were the best of the forwards.

Next week Gorey travel to Enniscorthy for the last league game. With nothing only pride at stake as Enniscorthy have already secured the league the main focus will be to avoid any unnecessary injuries. Both sides are still in the Towns cup with Enniscorthy also in contention for a place in the AIL, kick off is at 3pm.


C Allen B O Connor D Bellanova S Gardiner D O Leary B Mason K Breen E Walshe A O Brien M Duke J Nolan J Rothwell R Harrington A Walshe J Naughton L Molloy K Browne L Stephens S Hadden H Kennedy


Our Sponsors

Copyrights Gorey RFC 2016