Gorey’s U18s travelled to Naas on Saturday evening for their D’Arcy Cup quarter-final game, which would be their third knockout game in a week, after their Leinster League Final the previous Sunday followed by their schools McMullen Cup Final on Thursday. This talented team are a victim of their own success as this gruelling schedule proved a step too much, as it would for even a professional team.

Nonetheless the depleted Gorey team started the stronger, dominating play from the opening whistle. Cathal Stokes kicked cleverly to set up a number of strong lineouts for Gorey, which they mauled on each occasion before being brought down.

After ten minutes, Seán Wafer made a great run for the tryline before being taken down with a high tackle. Naas defended well but couldn’t get any traction and found themselves camped in their own ’22 for almost the entire half.

Unfortunately, Gorey were unable to convert their dominance into points on the board, as Naas threw bodies on the line in last ditch defence.

Finally, on the 33-minute mark, Jack Ryan made a great break and released Mark Boyle who got over the whitewash for Gorey’s opening try. (Naas 0 – Gorey 5).

But in a cruel twist of fate, on their first foray into the Gorey half, Naas managed to avoid several tackles and got over for an equalising try in the last minute of the opening half. (Naas 5 – Gorey 5).


The second-half started with a great run by Gorey’s Cormac Walsh, who looked to be through but was called back for a forward pass.

But as the game progressed Gorey legs started to tire and the exertions of the previous week began to take their toll. At the same time Naas raised their game and began to turn things around in their favour. Gallant tackling by the likes of Brian O’Leary, Cillian Tomkins and Oran Fitzpatrick stemmed the tide for a while, but it was only a matter of time before Naas broke Gorey’s tiring defence and got over the line to take the lead. (Naas 10 – Gorey 5)

They added a penalty five minutes later to extend their lead. (Naas 13 – Gorey 5)

A number of injuries saw Gorey Captain Tadhg O’Neill come off, as well as Scrum Half Cillian Tomkins and Centre Seán Wafer.

Gorey continued to defend bravely with Mark Boyle and Oisín Fortune putting their bodies on the line. But a now resurgent Naas saw victory in sight and they took advantage of their drained opponents to score two more tries.

Gorey managed a well-worked consolation try in the last few minutes of the game when a clever cross-kick fell into the hands of Oisín Fortune, but it was too little too late. 

Final score: Naas 27 – Gorey 10.

Gorey defended tenaciously particularly in the second half with the back row of Alex Rothwell, Mark Boyle and Frank Kavanagh making great tackles, but for his tremendous work-rate and staunch defending the Man of the Match goes to Brian O’Leary.

Gorey have one more Final to contest when they take on Enniscorthy in the South East Final. Date to be announced.


01. Martin O’Loughlin

02. Cormac Walsh

03. Jack Ryan

04. Cian Kenny

05. Tadhg O’Neill (Capt.)

06. Alex Rothwell

07. Frank Kavanagh

08. Mark Boyle

09. Cillian Tomkins

10. Cathal Stokes

11. Brian O’Leary

12. Adam Byrne

13. Seán Wafer

14. Oran Fitzpatrick

15. Oisín Fortune


16. Carl Johnston

17. Cian Sullivan

18. Joe Butler

19. Eoin Canavan

20. Donough McGivern


Our Sponsors

Copyrights Gorey RFC 2016